Friday 18 July 2014

The Joy of Learning – Discovering What You Don’t Know

Have you ever experienced the joy of learning – discovering what you don’t know? I have! Pursuing my informal liberal arts education has given me that precious gift. These days, I find myself pulling away from popular blogs – A-List bloggers whose writing I once enjoyed – because of their sameness. Many people are saying the same things, and each of us can fall into that trap. With so much content, how can you rise to the top? Similarly, in the context of work, how can you differentiate yourself from your peers? I think the answer partially lies in learning new things, but the story doesn’t end there, because information is not power. You have to transform and apply the new learning so that it is valuable to your clients. And that’s easier to say than to do, but do not let that stop you.

Imagine your ideal job, what would you be doing, and what skills would you be using? Do you possess those skills, or do you have to get additional training? I think, to experience the joy of learning and discovering more of what you don’t know, can make you more marketable. But what you learn, and applying the new-found knowledge, will transform your life, only if it addresses the needs of your clients. How can you figure out what people need and then give it to them? When you figure that out, please let me know. We are living in a state of flux, where things are changing constantly, so what works today may no longer work tomorrow. Although we may not know exactly what people want, there are always some clues that will give us insights, but we have to be aware of our environment, and we have to practice active listening. What are clients saying to you? What kind of chatter is taking place on the internet? What are the futurists saying?
Now, having said that, for me, I have to manage the personal with the professional. That means, when it comes to learning, I have to balance the courses that I am taking, therefore I have to take some courses for fun and others for professional development. For you, only you can decide which mix is best for you, but there is truth to the adage, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” I think that the joy of learning comes from the discoveries that occur along the way.
I am really enjoying my informal liberal arts education. I initially had some missteps when I first started, when I chose only courses that I was personally interested in. Thankfully, at some point, I had the foresight to include courses that would make me more valuable to myself and to my clients. I have learned the importance of working in and on my business simultaneously, so I am allotting time for each. If you are working for an organization, are you making sure that you are both working in and on your career? Investing so much time and energy into taking courses that I am not receiving credit for must have other payoffs to make it worthwhile, and as I have written about before, I have five outcomes to achieve at the end of my informal liberal arts education.
Going through the process of taking an informal liberal arts education is shaping my thinking. But what I have also noticed, is that while I am taking courses to fill a skills gap, I am learning critical information, and I am constantly reminded that I don’t know what I don’t know. I am itching to start writing my book about my journey toward a liberal arts education, but I am holding myself back for two weeks because adequate preparation can go a long way. I have to read through all my notes and do the deep thinking that I am capable of to generate meaning insights.
Learning can be a lot of fun if you approach it with the correct mindset and have a good instructor that delivers information that can change your life. For example, I found a course called Critical Reading and Writing, and for the work I do, I asked myself, how can you go wrong with a course like that? It turns out that the course is actually a grammar course, and the instructor, Carole Greene, uses art history to teach it. She is also an artist, so she brings the course to life by showing Johannes Vermeer’s painting. I found the course fascinating, invested 20 hours of my time, and believe that my life has been enriched as a result of taking the course. Greene uses two textbooks in the course, which include sections from Girl With a Pearl Earring: A Novel by Tracy Chevalier and Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland. Both of the books are about the artist Johannes Vermeer.
Not much is known about Johannes Vermeer, but based on research, the authors try to recreate his life. At the end of the course – a really good grammar course – I got a good taste of the two novels, and I intrigued enough that I want to read both books. Although Carol Greene is teaching grammar, she brings a dry topic to life and engages her students in the process. By taking this class, I realized that any topic can be interesting if the teacher is creative in her delivery.
I am always harping about reading and taking courses because I believe continuous learning is so vital today. And with so much free courses online, I am sure anyone can find a subject matter delivered in a format that’s right for him/her. When you take courses to fill a skills gap, you will realize, like I did, that you don’t know what you don’t know, and that is the joy of learning.


Source: http://theinvisiblementor.com/the-joy-of-learning-discovering-dont-know/